Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Istanbul, Turkey

Our first day in Istanbul we toured the Blue Mosque


The ceilings inside.. it was really pretty how the lights were hanging down

I had to cover my head with a scarf and we both had to take off our shoes to enter...


This is Hagia Sophia which we toured our second day. The two mosques pretty much face each other with a pretty park in between




We also went to the Basilica Cistern, an underground cave that used to hold all of the water for the city


There are two Medusa heads at the base of two of the columns





This obelisk from Egypt used to be three times this height!

Entrance to the Grand Bazaar


I was crazy about these lamps!

There were just rows and rows of shops here.. I managed to find a couple good finds! It was so intimidating to have to haggle with people. I don't think I was really good at it, but I talked the guy down from 50 lira to 30 lira for the lamp!


The shop I bought my pillowcase from!

Lunch one day.. mixed Kebap grill

Had so much fun at this place, stayed for hours talking to the owners and smoking nagrile (hookah)!

The Spice Bazaar, where Josh found his souveniers... turkish coffee and curry powder!

Day two inside Hagia Sophia. This place has gone back and forth from a Church to a Mosque for centuries.







Mosaic remnants of Mary and Baby Jesus

The view of Hagia Sophia from our hotel window!

We ended the day with a dinner cruise on the Bosphorus, the body of water in between Europe and Asia. The food was great, the entertainment was so/so, the drinks were unlimited! =)


Our hotel's name and some Raki, Turkish liquor that tastes like black licorice.. we had one!




Our last day in Istanbul we visited Topkapi Palace.. past home of the sultans!





The grounds were beautiful, overlooking the Bosphorus and filled with tulips!













The Sultan's Bedchamber








One more photo op in front of the Blue Mosque, then headed home!

No comments:

Post a Comment